Back pain affects a large number of people around the world, including in Australia. Although lower back pain is not a recognized disease, a medical condition that occurs due to many different reasons, it is not easy to determine the main reason behind the lower back pain of an individual; however, there are many effective treatment options.
Some of the common symptoms of back pain include:
- Pain down the front or back of the leg or lower back.
- Increase in pain due to activity.
- Pain gets worse overnight, and when sitting for too long.
- Frequent numbness or weakness in legs
This article explains the common causes of back pain and describes Myotherapy which is a very effective treatment for those suffering from back pain in Malvern.
Common Causes of Back Pain
There are many different reasons for back pain; however, it is hard to evaluate & diagnose. The best method to find the root cause is to inform the doctor of every symptom, no matter how insignificant it might be. It is hard to diagnose the cause of lower back pain because it is one of the most common medical conditions and is second only to the common cold.
Some of the common issues that cause lower back pain include:
- Strain in the muscles
- Ligaments problem
- Issue with Nerves
- Problem with the Vertebral bones (spine)
In most cases, there is no need for surgery, and alternative treatments like Myotherapy is effective in eliminating the pain.
Common Facts & Stats
- Back pain is one of the leading causes of disability worldwide; it is also one of the primary reasons for loss of productivity due to leaves in offices around the world.
- It affects people of all ages grounds from adolescents to the elderly.
- It is one of the top 3 reasons on the list of why people visit a doctor.
- A large number of cases of back pain tend to be cured; however, it does tend to recover and in some cases, can become chronic and be the reason for disability.
- Disability due to back pain has risen 54% from 1990 to 2015.
- Cases of back pain in Western Europe in 2013 for those over 80 years old were over 700,000; that is 50-54 years old was over 900,000 and that in 10-14 years old was 300,000.
- Back pain affects 38% of the people in their daily activity.
- It was the second-highest leading cause of disease in Australia in 2015 and is 4.1% of Australia’s disease burden.
- 16% of the Australian population had a back problem in 2017-18.
Myotherapy – The Optimal Treatment for Back Pain
Myotherapy is the treatment and rehabilitation of musculoskeletal pain including back pain, shoulder pain, neck pain, and several other issues as well. It is an effective treatment that helps in the early assessment and prevention of chronic back pain. Some of the symptoms that this treatment can effectively heal include deep and constant aching, muscle tightness, sore spots in the muscles, stiff joints and numbness.
A typical visit to a Myotherapist will involve an in-depth examination of the patient with back pain to start with. It will usually include an x-ray to help the doctor get a better understanding of the condition of the patient. They will then provide the appropriate treatment based on the state to help improve the mobility of the patient and restore regular activity in them.